Korean Pork Neck and Potato Stew (감자탕) in an Instant Pot
- 2 lbs Pork neck or back bones (Can be found in most Asian supermarkets or local butcher shop. They can also be substituted with ribs)
- 4 potatoes (I used Yukon potatoes this time around as I like the creaminess of it when stewed)
- 3 green onions (or 1 big green onion/대파)
- 10 perilla leaves
- 1/4 head of kimchee that has been fermented for a long time (묵은지김치)
- Ground perilla seeds (들깨가루)
- 1 tbsp Korean red pepper paste/gochujang (고추장)
- 1 tbsp Korean soy bean paste (된장)
- 3 tbsp Korean red pepper flakes (고추가루)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup soup soy sauce (국간장)
- 3 tbsp Korean fish sauce (액젓)
- Submerge the pork neck in cold water for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) to let the bones and meat bleed. If the water turns reddish pink, change it.
- Rinse the pork neck and place in Instant Pot and fill with enough water to cover the pork. Add about 1-2 oz of soju or sake and close and press the ‘Saute’ button to bring to a boil.
- Let it boil for about five minutes and then drain. Rinse the pork neck and set aside to cool.
- Make the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Place the pork neck back into the Instant Pot and fill with enough water to cover the pork.
- Add the sauce.
- Wash the potatoes and slice in half. (I keep the skin on so the potatoes can better hold its shape after it is cooked.) Place on top of pork neck.
- Rinse the kimchee in cold water and place it on top of the pork and potatoes.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, let the it naturally depressurize for 5 minutes before releasing the steam.
- Open the lid and add water to desired taste.
- Add the perilla leaves and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice and other Korean side-dishes. Add preferred amount of ground perilla seeds before eating.