Korean Red Pepper Paste Stew – Gochujang Jjigae (고추장찌게)
- 1/4-1/2 lb of pork or beef (cubed)(optional)
- 1/2 cup Korean red pepper paste – gochujang
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small squash (chopped)
- 1 block firm tofu (cubed)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- mushrooms (chopped)
- 1-2 red pepper(s) (sliced)
- 2 green onions (sliced
- light soy sauce (to taste)
- Korean beef flavoring (optional)(to taste)
- Pour about 6 cups of water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the meat and cook for 3-5 minutes. If the meat was not bled before being used, a brownish foam will start to form. Scoop out the foam using a ladle or spoon. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic, tofu, gochujang and onions. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, squash, red peppers, and green onion.
- Use the soy sauce and beef flavoring to season to your liking. (TIP: You can use bone broth or beef broth from the beginning to avoid having to use beef flavoring, but it just tastes better)
- Enjoy with grilled pork belly, rice, and a shot of soju.